In 2015, Sustain Charlotte teamed up with OrthoCarolina and #thesavageway to bring a first-of-its-kind walking initiative to the Plaza Midwood Business District to promote walking as a form of transportation.
On June 2, we launched our second WalkCLT initiative in FreeMoreWest!
Using wayfinding signs, this initiative encourages residents and visitors to walk, rather than drive to destinations in their area. Signs state how many minutes it will take to walk to popular destinations!
Photo: Over 350 participants attended WalkCLT 2017 in FreeMoreWest!
- 108,200 calories burned
- 1,190 pounds of carbon dioxide prevented (due to walking instead of driving)
- 1,082 miles walked
- 350+ participants
- 7 event partners including WalkCLT sponsor, OrthoCarolina
- 6 local businesses offering great deals
- 5 great vendors to welcome guests
- 4 amazing volunteers
- 3 exciting activities hosted along the greenway
- 2 supportive neighborhood-based organizations engaged
- 1 incredible evening celebrating walking as a form of sustainable transportation!
Photo: Participants enjoyed exploring the Stewart Creek Greenway and participating in fun activities along the way!
WalkCLT is powered by OrthoCarolina. This initiative aims to raise awareness of the role that walking can play as a mode of transportation and the many social, environmental, and economic benefits walking generates for ourselves and our community. 2017 Project partners include: #thesavageway, Recover Brands, Blue Blaze Brewing, Livable Meck and RootsRated Media.
STAY TUNED FOR AN ANNOUNCEMENT OF OUR NEXT WALKCLT EVENT!