See below for the goals we are working towards this year to make Charlotte healthier, more equitable, and more vibrant for generations to come!
Give Residents a Voice
- Engage residents in advocating for the city to budget and invest at least $50M over the next two years to make Charlotte safer for walking and biking.
- Build a new community-based coalition to advocate for better public transit in Charlotte.
- Build support for completion of the projects in the newly updated Transit Corridor System Plan including a new light rail line and fast, frequent bus service through the Envision My Ride initiative.
- Launch a statement of support to demonstrate public support for the funding needed to implement the recommendations of the 2017 Uptown Connects study to build a safe bicycle network throughout Uptown Charlotte.
- Continue our partnerships with the North End Community Coalition, West Boulevard Neighborhood Coalition, and Lakeview Neighborhood Alliance to improve connectivity and advocate for a built environment that supports active transportation.
- Advocate for completion of the Irwin Creek Greenway with the West Boulevard Neighborhood Coalition and complete a signage project to encourage use of the greenway.
- In the second phase of our Senior Mobility Project, host four walkability audits to identify specific locations where older adults have mobility concerns, use audit results to advocate for better transportation, and host eight experiential transit training events for older adults.
- Support the CATS Bus Corridors Study by advocating for bus prioritization so all people can get where they need to go more quickly and efficiently.
Partner with the City of Charlotte
- Serve on the Vision Zero Task Force and support the goal of achieving zero traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2030.
- Serve on the Unified Development Ordinance Advisory Committee to help ensure that Charlotte’s future rules for development will ensure smart growth.
- Support a clean energy future for Charlotte by serving on the Transportation Work Group for the Strategic Energy Action Plan (SEAP).
Organize Inspiring Events
- Host our third annual Charlotte Sustainability Summit to inform residents about our current sustainability challenges and opportunities and how they can help.
- Host four Shifting Gears events to identify and pursue opportunities for community collaboration in support of cycling.
- Host our ninth annual Charlotte Sustainability Awards to recognize our community’s sustainability leaders.
- Host the fifth annual #WalkCLT powered by OrthoCarolina to inspire residents to walk more often to the places they need to go.
- Host our sixth annual Biketoberfest presented by The Charlotte Knights to inspire residents to bike more often to the places they need to go.
Inform Thousands of Residents
- Publish a monthly informative e-newsletter, a weekly blog post, timely e-mail action alerts, and daily social media posts.
- Inform and inspire thousands of residents by participating in at least 60 community events and meetings.
- Publish a year-long series of articles reporting on progress towards the ten key sustainability issues outlined in our 2030 Vision.
- Reach tens of thousands of residents with our mission and message by earning media coverage of our work at least 25 times.