In 2019 Sustain Charlotte made tremendous progress towards making our city more vibrant, equitable and healthy for generations to come! Watch our highlight video below or scroll down for a bullet list of some of our biggest accomplishments!
Gave Residents a Voice
- Activated the voice of residents to ensure the funds needed to complete the Cross Charlotte Trail were included in the city’s budget.
- Improved neighborhood connectivity and active transportation opportunities by partnering with the North End Neighborhood Coalition to conduct walk audits, advocate for a safer Druid Hills Neighborhood Park, and working to ensure that a trail will be built at the Double Oaks Park.
- Partnered with North End residents to design and install more than 80 wayfinding signs, and held an event to celebrate neighborhood connectivity.
- Partnered with the West Boulevard Neighborhood Coalition to create a map of neighborhood amenities and add education signage to Irwin Creek Greenway.
- Hosted a Youth Sustainable Transportation Fair for more than 100 children at the Arbor Glen Outreach Center.
- Activated the voice of residents in helping shape the Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan, a plan that will guide Charlotte’s growth over the next twenty years.
Partnered with Local Government
- Partnered with Charlotte DOT to open the first mile of the Uptown Cycle Track in April.
- Served on the planning department’s Unified Development Ordinance Advisory Committee and advocated for policies that will improve walkability and ensure appropriate land uses near our light rail stations.
- Served on the planning department’s Tree Ordinance Stakeholder Group, and advocated for policies that will ensure more trees in our densest neighborhoods.
- Worked to help the City achieve its goal of a zero-carbon vehicle fleet by 2030 by advocating for CATS to begin transitioning our bus fleet to electric battery buses.
- Partnered with Charlotte DOT, CMPD, Mecklenburg County, CMS, and others to work towards the city’s goal of zero traffic deaths and serious fatalities by 2030 by serving on the Vision Zero Task Force.
- Partnered with Charlotte DOT to publicly unveil the first-ever citywide Bicycle Network Map at one of our Shifting Gears events.
- Partnered with the Mecklenburg County Solid Waste Department to host an educational event about how to recycle right.
Organized Inspiring Events
- Inspired nearly 300 people to hop on a bike and visit 23 local businesses, organizations, and parks during our fifth annual Biketoberfest presented by The Charlotte Knights event!
- Recognized nearly 40 local sustainability leaders at our 2019 Charlotte Sustainability Awards before an audience of 400.
- Hosted 5 Grow Smart CLT events that are helping to grow Charlotte smarter by educating over 530 attendees about how they can be more sustainable.
- Partnered with 17 other organizations and inspired 300 residents to explore the FreeMoreWest neighborhoods on foot through our #WalkCLT event.
- Organized the second annual Charlotte Sustainability Summit in partnership with UNC Charlotte, which informed and engaged 200 residents.
- Organized three Shifting Gears workshops in which 215 Charlotteans came together to take action and propel cycling in Charlotte forward.
Informed Thousands of Residents
- Published 54 newsletters, 80 blog posts, 1 email action alert, and hundreds of social media posts.
- Presented or spoke at 65 community events and meetings where we informed and inspired 10,550 residents.
- Featured or quoted by local media 39 times, reaching hundreds of thousands of residents.
Partnered with Community Organizations
- Partnered with WakeUP Wake County and the Transit Alliance of the Piedmont to better coordinate our work to advance smart growth in North Carolina’s three largest metros.
- Partnered with over 200 community and neighborhood organizations to advance our shared sustainability goals for Charlotte.