Sustain Charlotte, a nonprofit dedicated to promoting sustainable social, economic and land use policies, recognized 70 Charlotte area citizens and organizations Tuesday evening for their efforts.
Eleven winners received the top awards before a crowd of more than 250 at the Third Annual Community Sustainability Awards + Earth Day Celebration at UNC Charlotte's Center City campus uptown. They were recognized for helping to advance ‘Charlotte 2030: A Sustainable Vision for Our Region’, which Sustain Charlotte launched in 2010.
Among the winners:
- Outstanding Overall Leader, David Walters, director of UNC Charlotte's Urban Design Program
- Oustanding Educator, Cindy Moss, director of global STEM initiatives, Discovery Education
- Transportation, Charlotte Department of Transportation
- Land Use, Charlotte Center City Partners
- Energy, N.C. Sustainable Energy Association
- Waste Reduction, Eaton Corp.
- Air Quality, Clean Air Carolina
- Food, Go-Go Fresco
- Social Equity, MGR Charlotte
- Water, Charlotte Public Tree Fund
- Sustainable Economy, PPRE Forevergreen